This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase something, I will receive a commission with no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer.
When you aren’t sure about staying friends with someone because of how toxic they are, these quotes about bad friendships will help you find clarity and maybe even the strength needed to cut a fake friend off if necessary.
Each of these 101 sayings provides a fresh perspective on how to recognize a toxic friendship and helps you decide whether you want people like that in your life or not.
Of course, it’s not easy to cut off a friend, especially if you have many years of memories in common. But if this person keeps you from growth, drags you into negativity, and doesn’t support your goals, it’s likely not a friend you wanna take into your better future.
It’s up to you, of course, but remember to take care of yourself first and not stay in toxic relationships just for the sake of it. Also, you don’t owe that person anything, especially if they don’t really act like a friend who cares about you. So stop being a people pleaser and surround yourself with positive inspiring personalities whose faces genuinely light up when you enter the room!
How to recognize a bad friendship
There are plenty of ways to be a toxic friend. Usually, when you step back and take a look at your relationship from an outside perspective, you’ll easily see if your friendship is genuine and mutual.
Generally, you know you are in a bad friendship if you can’t be yourself with that person, if they constantly argue with you or put you down, if they don’t support your dreams, compete with you, or talk badly about you behind your back.
Another example of a bad friend is someone who is always complaining, puts themselves first, and never celebrates your achievements with you. A friend like that is not trustworthy or reliable, and you can rarely feel good or spread positive vibes around them without being judged.
If you are confused and still unsure about the way someone is treating you, consider hopping on a quick call with an online therapist who can help you solve this puzzle. Maybe when you talk to someone about it, you’ll see things differently and will realize whether or not you should cut off that friendship.
How to cut off a bad friend
If you actually came to a decision that you don’t want this “friend” in your life anymore, there is always more than one way to approach this.
You can cut off a bad friend gradually, by minimizing the time you spend together and making yourself less available, or go cold turkey and stop all the contacts at once, if possible. Before doing anything, think about all the people and activities you have in common, and come up with a plan on how you’ll navigate your life without this friendship.
It might be more difficult to cut off a bad friend who is a big part of your daily life, whether a colleague, a schoolmate, or a neighbor. But it doesn’t mean you should stay in this relationship and keep being miserable.
If you decided to break off this friendship, stick to your decision and find something to put your energy into, maybe a hobby that will keep you busy, so you don’t go back if you feel lonely or miss your former friend.
With that said, let’s try to evaluate whether your friend is toxic or not, starting with some really good quotes about bad friendships!
Good quotes about bad friendships
1. To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow-minded individuals. – Michael Bassey Johnson
2. Keeping bad company is like being in a germ-infested area. You never know what you’ll catch. – Frank Sonnenberg
3. A bad friend is worse than an enemy, an enemy you can see and avoid, but to detect an insincere friend is hard. – Bangambiki Habyarimana
4. You see, people are everywhere. They are everything. No matter who we are, or what we do, people are involved in our lives. If those people are poisonous, our lives will be poisonous also. – S.R. Crawford
5. Bad friends will prevent you from having good friends.
6. A true friend cares about what’s going on in your life. A fake friend makes their problems sound bigger.
7. Some people are in such utter darkness that they will burn you just to see a light. Try not to take it personally. – Kamand Kojouri
8. It is necessary, and even vital, to set standards for your life and the people you allow in it. – Mandy Hale
9. There’s folks you just don’t need. You’re better off without ’em. Your life is just a little better because they ain’t in it. – William Gay
10. It is challenging to fly with eagles when you have been walking with turtles. – Amit Kalantri
Quotes about bad advice from friends
11. There are as many forms of advice as there are colors of the rainbow. Remember that good advice can come from bad people and bad advice from good people. The important thing about advice is that it is simply that. Advice. – Al Franken
12. It’s hard to make out the difference between insults and bad advice. – Cass McCombs
13. I am glad that I paid so little attention to good advice; had I abided by it I might have been saved from some of my most valuable mistakes. – Edna St. Vincent Millay
14. I do not live on false promises. I cannot afford to live on bad advice. – Robert Kiyosaki
15. In this world, there are only a few things more available than gasoline: coffee, soda and beer. Oh, and bad advice. – Foster Kinn
16. To give good advice, you have to make bad mistakes.Stéphanie
17. Bad advice will blind you, good advice will instruct you, excellent advice will enlighten you, and transcendent advice will elevate you. – Matshona Dhliwayo
18. Old people love to give good advice; it compensates them for their inability to set a bad example. – Francois De La Rochefoucauld
19. I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself. – Oscar Wilde
20. I still give my friends relationship advice, of course, and I’m not bad at it. ‘Anyone’s crisis but mine’ is my motto. – Carrie Fisher
Worst friends ever quotes
21. Some of the most poisonous people come disguised as friends and family.
22. Some friends are like pennies, two-faced and worthless.
23. I hate two-faced people. It’s so hard to decide which face to slap first.
24. With friends like these, who needs enemies?
25. Would a robber break in your home at night beating drums? Nope. This is how those who want to take advantage of your life come: Full of smiles and promising sincere friendship! – Bangambiki Habyarimana
Positive quotes about negative friends
26. You cannot hang out with negative people and expect a positive life. – Joel Osteen
27. When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. – Itayi Garande
28. There is too much negativity in the world. Do your best to make sure you aren’t contributing to it. – Germany Kent
29. Negative people can only infest you with discouragements when they find you around… Just get lost and get saved! – Israelmore Ayivor
30. You must resist negative thoughts, negative criticism and negative influences.Lailah Gifty Akita
31. It is better to dwell on the beautiful things in life than the negative. – Lailah Gifty Akita
32. As you begin to walk away from negativity and toxic people, it will inspire you to embrace positivity and your life will become more rewarding and fulfilling. – Germany Kent
33. The attitude you pose is greatly influenced by the links of friendships you bookmark. Good friends, good attitudes; best friends, best attitudes. Guess what for toxic friends…! – Israelmore Ayivor
Funny bad friend quotes
34. Advice from friends is like the weather. Some of it is good; some of it is bad. – Arnold Lobel
35. Oh, I’m sorry, I forgot I only exist when you need something.
36. I’m going to sit back and laugh when karma punches you in the face.
37. We do not have to be mental health professionals to identify the traits of the possible sociopaths among us. – P.A. Speers
38. Dear fake friends… First of all, you should know, I am typing this with my middle finger!!
39. Friends are like boobs. Some are big, some are small, some are real and some are fake.
40. Show me your friends and I’ll show you your future. – Dan Pena
Deep quotes on toxic jealous fake friends
41. A fake friend likes to see you do well, but not better than them.
42. Toxic people will pollute everything around them. Don’t hesitate. Fumigate. – Mandy Hale
43. The toxic behaviors were there before you decided to enter into relationships with them. The signs were there. You may have chosen to look the other way, but the signs were there. – P.A. Speers
44. Look around you at the people you spend the most time with and realize that your life can’t rise any higher than your friendships. – Mandy Hale
45. Don’t fear the enemy that attacks you, but the fake friend that hugs you.
46. Save your skin from the corrosive acids from the mouths of toxic people. Someone who just helped you to speak evil about another person can later help another person to speak evil about you. – Israelmore Ayivor
47. Protect your good image from the eyes of negative viewers, who may look at your good appearance with an ugly fiendish eye, and ruin your positive qualities with their chemical-infested tongues. – Michael Bassey Johnson
48. Toxic people attach themselves like cinder blocks tied to your ankles and then invite you for a swim in their poisoned waters. – John Mark Green
49. Handling toxic people is not an art, they will be the victim of their own toxicity. – P.S. Jagadeesh Kumar
Quotes about friends who are bad influence
50. When you walk with trash, you end up smelling the same. – Anthony Liccione
51. If the only way you can fit in with your friends is by doing bad things, you need some new friends.
52. From the moment one encounters bad company, there is nothing but unhappiness, thus run away from the bad company. When you feel unhappy inside, know that this is bad company so run from there. Run away from that which arouses unhappiness at its mere sight. – Dada Bhagwan
53. Opinions of others may temporary influence your decisions. But you ought to follow your own inner voice. – Lailah Gifty Akita
54. Evil influence is like a nicotine patch, you cannot help but absorb what sticks to you. – E.A. Bucchianeri
55. Just remember… If we get caught, you’re deaf and I don’t speak English.
56. He seems to be making you that way too – enough to tolerate people like him. And once you start tolerating them, you’re going to end up being like them yourself. – Patricia Highsmith
Quotes about friends who treat you badly
57. It’s very possible and very okay to forgive someone and still not want to spend time with them. – Karen Salmansohn
58. Ill customs and bad advice are seldom forgotten. – Benjamin Franklin
59. You can’t treat people like shit and then expect them to love you.
60. People who you thought were friends will treat you poorly, they will show their true colours by behaving badly. You must walk away with your head held high, knowing that you did your best. – Leon Brown
61. If I treated you the way you treat me, you would hate me.
62. As you get older, you really just want to be surrounded by good people. People that are good for you, good to you, and good for your soul. – Germany Kent
63. Do not be bad because others treat you badly. – Lailah Gifty Akita
64. Never expect people to treat you any better than you treat yourself.
65. When you first realize that somebody doesn’t value your worth, value yourself enough to distance yourself from that person.Germany Kent
66. Do right. Do your best. Treat others as you want to be treated.
67. No matter how badly people treat you, never drop down to their level. Just know you’re better and walk away.
68. Fake friends are like shadows: they follow you in the sun but leave you in the dark.
Quotes about real friends
69. In life, we never lose friends, we only learn who the true ones are.
70. Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart.
71. Spend your time with those who love you unconditionally, not with those who only love you under certain conditions. – Suzy Kassem
72. True friends say good things behind your back and bad things to your face.
73. Real friends will listen to your problems no matter how bad their day is going.
74. You don’t lose real friends, real opportunities or real relationships when you start standing up for yourself and setting clear boundaries. You lose abusers, manipulators, narciccists, control freaks, attention seekers, and mental health-destroying leeches.
75. A real situation will always expose a fake friend.
76. True friends aren’t the ones who make your problems disappear. They are the ones who won’t disappear when you are facing problems.
77. Friendship is genuine when two friends can enjoy each others company without speaking a word to one another. – George Ebers
78. Friends are supposed to be there for you when you cry not be the reason you cry.
Quotes on friendship goals
79. Relationships matter. The roles people play in your life will influence you so get serious about who you allow to affect you. Nurture those relationships in your circle that foster success and happiness. – Germany Kent
80. Stay real, stay loyal, or stay away from me.
81. As your life evolves, so should your circle. – Izey Victoria Odiase
82. There comes a time when you have to stop crossing oceans for people who wouldn’t jump puddles for you.
83. I think if I’ve learned anything about friendship, it’s to hang in, stay connected, fight for them, and let them fight for you. Don’t walk away, don’t be distracted, don’t be too busy or tired, don’t take them for granted. Friends are part of the glue that holds life and faith together. Powerful stuff. – Jon Katz
84. As you remove toxic people from your life, you free up space and emotional energy for positive, healthy relationships. – John Mark Green
Quotes about toxic best friends
85. What’s more toxic than what they have done, think, or have said about you is how you let your mind receive it. In a world as ours filled with so much noise and hate, what suffers the most is our minds. Know when to keep your mind shut! – Chinonye J. Chidolue
86. Toxicity at work, relationship or in life works as a slow poison which often ends its survivors as disillusioned or embittered. – Abhysheq Shukla
87. Staying in an unhealthy relationship that robs you of peace of mind, is not being loyal. It is choosing to hurt yourself mentally, emotionally and sometimes, physically. – Kemi Sogunle
88. A newspaper article that I read recently concluded that people are dying because of what they are eating. This article was talking about diets. Some inner voice inside me said even more people are dying because of what is eating them – the toxic relationships that they are keeping and the family problems that they are not resolving. – Itayi Garande
89. Friendships are meant to be enjoyable, not tense or anxiety-provoking.
90. Don’t waste time with toxic people. They will drain your energy and leave you feeling as if you did something wrong to harm them. – Germany Kent
91. If you’ve ever met an energy vampire (and you probably have), you’ll get the distinct feeling that this person has an intense need to prey off the vitality of others. There is a kind of acute neediness present in energy vampires which can be quite overwhelming and depleting to those they come in contact with. – Mateo Sol
Quotes about removing toxic friends
92. It makes no sense to try to extend a friendship that was only meant to be a season into a lifetime. – Mandy Hale
93. It is better to be alone than in bad company.
94. When dealing with toxic people always choose distance over disrespect. – Germany Kent
95. Over time, you realize that some people aren’t worth it anymore.
96. Fire False Friends as early as possible. Do it before they dig out the dream seeds you’ve planted! The earlier, the better; the quicker, the safer! – Israelmore Ayivor
97. The idea is quite simple, stay a light year away from people who make you feel less about yourself. – Mohith Agadi
98. Better realize when to move away from toxic people and toxic situations. – Deeksha Arora
99. Toxic relationships are dangerous to your health; they will literally kill you. Stress shortens your lifespan. Even a broken heart can kill you. There is an undeniable mind-body connection. Your arguments and hateful talk can land you in the emergency room or in the morgue. You were not meant to live in a fever of anxiety; screaming yourself hoarse in a frenzy of dreadful, panicked fight-or-flight that leaves you exhausted and numb with grief. You were not meant to live like animals tearing one another to shreds. Don’t turn your hair gray. Don’t carve a roadmap of pain into the sweet wrinkles on your face. Don’t lay in the quiet with your heart pounding like a trapped, frightened creature. For your own precious and beautiful life, and for those around you — seek help or get out before it is too late. This is your wake-up call!” – Bryant McGill
100. Life is like an elevator. On your way up, sometimes you have to stop and let some people off. – Ziad K. Abdelnour
101. Removing toxic people (including naysayers) from your life can repay you in scores of holistic wealth. – Keisha Blair
Final thoughts about bad friendships
How did you like these 101 quotes about bad friendships? Did they give you a fresh perspective on your relationship and convinced you to cut someone off? Or maybe you realized that it’s not that bad and you can still work it out? Tell me in the comments, I would love to know if any of these wise sayings helped you find clarity!
If you made a decision to part ways with your bad friend, good for you! I’m glad you are taking your self-care seriously and choosing to not bring toxic people into your future life.
Sometimes bad friendships are not as obvious, and you need time to understand how much it affects your mental health. It’s okay to not rush into important decisions and to think it through, just make sure to stand up for yourself and don’t allow anyone to treat you badly!
Grow your confidence, lose any bits of self-doubt you may have, and find a way to keep your fears under control. You don’t need to prove yourself in order to be loved, you are perfectly whole as you are, and good people will love you, if you are kind and let them!
More friendship inspiration and quotes here:
- 125 Best Friendship Hashtags For Instagram In 2023
- 99 Best Quotes About Old Friendships And Cherished Memories
- 36 Long Distance Friendship Gifts For Your Far Away Best Friend
- 33 Fun Things To Do On A Road Trip With Friends
- 85 Hilarious Quotes About Crazy Friends
- 82 Positive Affirmations For Lasting Friendship And Making New Friends
- 84 Travel Quotes With Friends To Inspire Your Next Adventure
- 120 Heart Touching Quotes About Long Distance Friendships